While sitting in my car one morning before work last week I looked through a list of speculative fiction writing prompts. Two of them especially caught my eye, and I thought it would be fun to see how different people combine them.
So, here are the prompts:
- “The tree farm has more to offer than simply Christmas trees; there’s magic there.”
- “You awaken in the world of your favorite novel.”
What will you do with these?
- Maybe the Christmas tree farm exists in both worlds. Maybe it phases back and forth, and if you stay there after dark you find yourself in the other world. How will you return home? When can you return home?
- Maybe each tree is linked to a different world, similar to the puddles in the Wood between the Worlds in C. S. Lewis’ The Magician’s Nephew. If you take the tree home, then will you go to bed one night and then wake up in Middle Earth? Will that world invade your living room as in Jumanji? A Christmas tree does not last long after it is cut, even if you do keep it watered. What happens when the tree dies? On the other hand, it is a magical tree. Maybe you can keep it alive. Could someone in Middle Earth cross over into the forest and then into Narnia?
- What happens if you use the wood from the magical trees to make paper to print a novel you are writing? Will a paperback copy be more than a simple paperback?
- Or suggest something completely different.
Let your imagination run wild, and post your thoughts in the comments. Maybe we will have diverse ideas, or maybe we will form a cohesive story. Anything goes, with a few exceptions: nothing sexual, no profanity, and no personal attacks. Most of all, have fun.
If the discussion goes well, then I will propose another writing prompt combo.