At a bookstore you find a book which appears to be your biography. You are amazed because you never knew anyone wrote your biography, and you do not understand why anyone would want to. As you skim through it you notice that it contains events of that day and the moment you find that book. It even contains events which have not yet occurred.
- You choose what type of bookstore. It can be a large store like Barnes and Noble or a small local store. In either case, provide a vivid description.
- Do you visit that bookstore regularly, or have you never been there before?
- Describe the books and/or magazines you look at before you find the biography.
- Describe the biography. How large is it? How is it bound? Describe the cover art. In which section of the bookstore did you find it? Make the content of the book appropriate to that section, but it is still a record of your past, present and future life.
- How detailed are the future sections? If they are vague, are the gaps filled in as you live your life?
- Because you know what will happen, then can you change your future, or are you stuck with what the book predicts? Maybe you can change some detail but not the overall trajectory. Does the content of the book then change to match the changed events?
- Are you afraid to read the book, or are you overwhelmed with temptation? You are likely to experience both. It may depend in part on whether you can change the book’s predictions. The inner struggle could make some interesting narrative.
- Do you discover the origin of the book and how the store acquired it?
You are free to use this prompt in your own writing. If you print it or post it online, however, please credit this post.